Season of Change (Title suggestions welcome)

by Roaming Shadow

This particular piece is both for a writing competion and as a fun little short story that occurs before the events of a series I've got going. For the competition it needs to be at most 4,000 words and is currently at 3,479. Have at it! :wink:

High on a thick tree branch, Damian balanced in a crouch, his left hand resting against the trunk balancing him, watching the sunset. It was still two finger widths above the horizon setting into the ocean just beyond, but already the sky was fading into warm orange with a shade of pink. Perched in the mighty oak, Damian relaxed in contentment. No matter how many times he saw it, he was ever awed by nature’s beauty.

Damian had been living in this forest for the past six years. The woods, so close to his childhood home, lay in the middle of the kingdom of Telaris. He had never seen the world beyond his home, only heard of what his father told him. Somewhere far off to the west laid the ocean with no name. It was simply the ocean. Off to the east was the Yemlen Plains, slowly dissolving into the Eastern Desert beyond the horizon. Far to the south and the north were mountain ranges, the Dragonwall and the Barliac, said to create supposedly impassable barriers. To the north east of the forest was the capital city of Talcen, where the king ruled over the land.

In his years of living in the wild, Damian felt he had done only three things; train, think, and stop criminals who sought refuge in the forest. Those criminals never got far. They would always be found by their pursuers; wounded, occasionally bandaged, with no trace of who stopped them. These occurrences were thankfully infrequent however, and he spent much of his time as he was now doing, resting in quiet contemplation. In times like these, he would often reflect on the past.

What he thought of most was his father. Damian had been raised by his father for most of his life, his mother having died of a fever when he was young. He had loved her for what time he had spent with her, and was heartbroken when she passed away. Only his father missed her more.

Before he had met his mother, Damian’s father Victer had been a bounty hunter. He made a small fortune tracking down criminals and traitors, capturing them and collecting the price placed on their heads. He never gloated and actually spoke little about anything to anyone. Because of this, he became something of a legend. Those who knew him were awed by his skill, but many had not heard of him or would not believe the stories they were told. One facet of the stories that most found peculiar was that he always brought his bounties back alive, even if the bounty asked for their head. He never gave his name, and so he was given a name, one which he never spoke of to Damian. Because of this, he became more a myth than man. This view spread when he seemed to disappear. What nobody knew was that he married.

His wife Maria was a very strong woman, in both strength and in will. Damian couldn’t help but grin as he remembered the story of how his parents had met. A bounty his father had tracked down took Maria hostage, thinking he could use her as a shield by putting a dagger against her throat. Maria had other ideas. Before Victer could formulate a plan to free her, she knocked her head against her captor’s, slammed her heal into his groin, and took the man’s dagger from his weakened grip. With the man curled up in pain on the ground, Maria finished subduing him herself. Victer had been impressed, and thought of her even after he received his reward for the man. They began seeing each other when he stopped by the town, Maria always glad to be with him again. Their relationship bloomed, and he gave up his livelihood for something more meaningful.

Damian had been born only a year after that disappearance in a secluded log cabin at the edge of the very forest he now called home. The only time he had ever seen other people was when he went to town with his father to buy supplies. What he had seen there made him prefer the woods by his home. The stone buildings were all spaced close together and seemed to press down on those walking through. The cobblestone roads were uneven and often cluttered with horse and mule manure. The town was crowded, the air seemed hard to breath, and the almost sinister nature of everyone there unnerved him.

At home, his parents raised him with love and respect. Maria died when he was only five, and both he and his father grieved for some time. When Damian was twelve years old, his father began to teach him how to fight with a sword, giving him a small wooden sword and telling him how the world could be a dangerous place. These stories are what he most vividly remembered about his father. Before and after training, he would hear the tales of his father’s journeys. His father would never speak of the bounties, but of the places he had been, the people he had met and the friends he had made. It seemed to Damian as though his father had seen the entire known world, and maybe more.

Damian let out a heavy sigh, slowly moving his right hand up to grasp the hilt of one of the two double edged swords in their scabbards on his back. His father wielded two swords as well, a rarity among swordsman. Damian himself had learned to use a single sword quickly, and his father then taught him to use two. Damian recalled the sparring bouts he had had with his father. He smiled, remembering how he would always lose. Even though he knew he would lose, he always gave it his all, never giving up until his father subdued him. His father had said he was a natural fighter. This praise meant the world to Damian, even to this day.

Damian’s childhood had ended abruptly, and this memory returned to Damian as inevitably as the seasons changed. One day, Damian had stayed behind when his father went to the market in town early in the morning. He had not returned by evening, which Damian had found unusual. The next morning, Damian awoke to see a hawk perched on the windowsill nearest his bed with a paper clutched in its talons. This confused Damian, because no bird of prey would deliver a message in such a manner, or any kind of bird for that matter. Still off balanced, he took the paper and the hawk immediately took flight. He found the paper was a note and he read it.

“Damian, son, take what you can and enter the woods. Something foul is occurring and I can not explain now. You must flee. I will see you again, I promise.” The note appeared to have been written hastily and not on a smooth surface.

Damian did not hesitate. He grabbed his sturdy pack and put in food, a canteen of water, a knife, flint and steel, clothes and a hatchet. Then he grabbed his bow and quiver of arrows, and the twin swords his father had had made for him barely a year before. These were his most precious possessions. Quickly, not knowing how much time he had, he strapped on his swords and the quiver to his back, slung his pack over his shoulder, held the bow in is left hand, and ran out the door. With all he needed, he had run into the forest without once looking back.

Since then he had abandoned everything but clothes and his swords. He needed nothing else to survive. Every day, he had wondered just what had happened to his father. He would not believe his father was dead. Where was he now? What was the something foul his father had mentioned? These questions hadn’t exactly haunted him, but had caused a few restless nights when he could not get his mind to calm. And because of these questions, he would not return to the civilized world. Or so called civilized world as he saw it.

He looked below him into a gently flowing river running next to the oak in which he rested. His reflection stared back at him. Damian hadn’t examined himself except to cut his hair in quite some time, and so he continued to stare at his wavy reflection. His skin was much darker then it had been when he first made the forest his home, likely from all the time spent in the sun. Hair and beard were cut with the beard short and scruffy and his straight dark brown hair hanging down to the bottom of his ears. He used his swords to maintain both. Seeing that a few strands were starting to get long in the front, he took out his right blade and trimmed them down so they wouldn’t get in his eyes. Nodding at the improvement, he put the blade back into its scabbard.

He then examined the rest of himself. His face was just a bit narrow, much like his father, with a moderately pointed chin and chiseled features. His eyebrows were thick but not bushy, and lay over his deep blue eyes. His mother had told him often when he was just a child that looking into his eyes was like looking into the ocean or a tranquil pool of water.

His clothes were all leather, tanned from the animals he had killed for his meals. Damian had had to abandon his other clothes, being no longer able to fit them. He actually preferred his leather knee breeches and shirt; they gave him more protection for his skin then cloth, and he was still quite comfortable. He thanked his mother silently for teaching him to sew, and his father for how to tan animal hides.

Tired of the memories his inspection and thoughts were bringing up, he turned his attention back to the setting sun, now just a bit lower on the horizon.

“Hurry men, hurry!” he heard a man in the distance. Curious, Damian reluctantly turned his eyes away from the fast sinking sun to peer into the forest. Though the light was dimming, he had little trouble seeing. He could not yet see the intruders through the branches even with sufficient light; intruders who were likely thieves or bandits.

“Slow up Arth!” another voice called, “They’re well behind us by now.”

“Quiet, you idiot!” the first man said in a lower but forceful voice. “Do you want to get caught? We keep going until night falls.”

Well, Damian thought, the man is not a complete fool. Their footsteps were becoming quite distinct and he could even smell them approach. There were five, or perhaps six. He wasn’t sure; the men were still not visible through the foliage. The thieves were still some distance off.

His senses were a new mystery for Damian, one that had only recently developed in his life. Since early in the spring, he had noticed that his senses seemed unusually sharp. All of his senses, including taste, were far beyond what he could remember them being not a year before. Living in the wild had honed his senses over the years gradually, and he understood that. Now they seemed sharper than they should be, beyond what he believed a human was capable of. He did not dislike his new abilities, but they did make him wonder. The fact that it did not seem natural to him unnerved him a little.

As the bandits approached, he began to catch glimpses through the branches that were now nearly to their summer display. The men were heading past his perch to the north, about six trees away and across the river. He would not allow these thieves to pass him and get away with their crime. Standing up from his comfortable position, he began to cross the branches near silently to intercept the group. With the moderately dense covering of branches that made the forest canopy and his own agility, he could walk almost as easily through the trees as he could on the ground.

He positioned himself around fifteen feet up a sturdy oak, high enough not to be seen and low enough to see the ground. Damian soon saw the men as they made their way towards him. There were six of them, each with a bag slung over their shoulder and a short sword sheathed at all their waists. A few even had daggers sheathed on their thighs.

The men’s pace had visibly slowed since he had glimpsed their progress through the branches, being exhausted by fleeing and the added weight of their loot. Damian smiled. He could not recall the last time he had truly felt fatigued.

“Come on, keep walking” came the leader’s voice again, “distance and darkness are our allies.”

Damian’s grin broadened. Darkness would prove no friend of theirs soon. The light was dimming quickly as day turned to night. The suns final rays still lit the world and the forest. Damian’s eyes adjusted to the darkness as though it was lighter than it truly was. Colors though, were not as distinct.

He waited patiently as the men approached. They were only walking by now. When the lead man came under the tree’s branches, Damian jumped down silently and landed on the mossy ground in front of the bandit, crouching to absorb the impact and prepare to strike.

“What-” the man began to say, but Damian’s blade slicing through his shin turned the query into a startled howl of pain. He went down hard clutching his left leg, his pants slowly darkening around the wound.

“What the!?”, “Demon!” the others cried. Every man dropped their bags, and all but one drew their swords. The man at the back of the pack drew out a dagger and sent it spinning at Damian.

The aim was perfect, but Damian brought his left blade up and across swatting the knife away, embedding it into a nearby tree. With both blades now to his right side, Damian leapt with his left shoulder, launching himself through the air towards his nearest opponent. The man tried to get his sword up, as if he would bring the sword down on Damien’s head, but Damian struck before the blade was fully raised.

His left hand blade struck first, slicing the man’s calf. The right hand blade sliced three fingers off the man’s left hand. The man fell on his crumpling leg screaming, clutching his bleeding stubs as he dropped the sword. Damian rolled in the air to land on his feet, sliding a few feet across the late spring grass. Two men would no longer oppose him.

Four men remained, and all charged at him with their swords ready to strike. Damian stood his ground. Sparks flew as he parried the first blow with his left blade, again when he parried with the right blade. He dodged the third man’s blade easily, quickly sidestepping to the right, and blocked the fourth with his own blade in a cross.

Damian parried, blocked, and evaded the men with ease. The group made their way through the forest, moving around trees, maneuvering through protruding roots, and even around the already fallen thieves. Three were nearly incompetent, but the fourth, who had thrown the dagger, knew how to fight. Self taught or trained, Damian wasn’t sure. He kept the battle going, constantly moving around, unnerving and tiring his foes. He could have already defeated them, but he wanted to practice on real opponents, to see how sharp his skills really were. The thieves were not a reasonable test for him however, for three could hardly even be considered swordsmen.

After a few minutes in the growing darkness, the three thieves who were hopeless could barely hold their blades. Damian disarmed them with three quick strikes, knocking their swords out of their hands and embedding them into the ground with effortlessly fluid movements. They went to the ground and surrendered instantly, whimpering to spare their lives. The fourth man was still armed, and Damian could see madness in his eyes.

The man charged as though he were possessed and struck with a ferocity that startled Damian, sending sparks flashing through the darkening forest. How could any man be so wild?, he thought. With his twin blades, he parried and blocked each blow, which came at him faster than he expected though not faster than he could handle.

Damian kept backing up around the clearing, waiting for the man to tire. The man was only a thief, and Damian had no desire to kill him. However, the man did not tire, but kept up his ferocious assault. Adrenaline seemed to push him on when fatigue should have overcome him. Then the man took a swing at Damian’s neck in an effort to chop off his head. Damian quickly brought his sword around to block and deflect the strike. The swords clashed in the air, sparks flew, metal screamed, but Damian’s sword did not stop. It went right through his opponent’s sword. The sword had broken in half.

Both men were startled, Damian surprised and his opponent shocked. Damian recovered first and brought both swords to the man. He struck four times, twice to remove all of the man’s fingers, and twice on the man’s calves. The man would never hurt anyone, or steal again.

The thieves subdued, Damian knocked out the now fingerless man with the hilt of his sword to stop his screaming and thrashing. Ripping the man’s shirt, he bandaged the man’s bleeding fingers. His work done, he headed back into the heart of the forest. The three he had disarmed cringed as he passed and he could hear their whimpering about demons. He paid them no heed, not wanting to dissuade them. The two others he had wounded were bleeding, but neither was hurt severely enough to require immediate mending. Those chasing the men would do that when they arrived. Damian kept walking, and soon disappeared among the shadows of the towering oaks.

* * *

Some time later, he was in the higher reaches of another oak, watching the pale full moon. His mind now was not on the past or the future, as it often was when he rested, but on the present. The battle kept playing before his eyes as though he was still there.

His mind was filled with questions as it raced. Questions he had no answers to. He moved too quickly and was far stronger than his training could account for. There was no explanation for how he broke the blade. At least none that made sense to him or put his mind at ease.

What is happening to me?, he thought as he clenched his right hand tightly into a fist. What am I becoming? Damian had no answer.

After staring at the moon for what seemed like hours, he finally got his mind to calm. The mystery of his past he had dealt with, confident it would reveal itself in time. The unexpected and seemingly unexplainable change in his body was something he was not prepared for. Whatever it was, it was out of his control. A chill ran down his spine. Feeling powerless was something that struck at his very soul.

Damian felt as though he was a mystery to himself. The question of ‘who am I?’ was one he could honestly ask himself, and a question which he could barely begin to answer. Could it be that the thieves were more right than they knew? Was he truly becoming some sort of demon?

He shut his eyes and shook his head violently at the thought. He could not allow himself to think such nonsense. There was no way he could possibly be becoming a demon. But what he was becoming, he could not guess. Again he stared at the moon, as if it held the answers. It did not, and he knew that.

Then he smiled, as everything seemed to become all too clear and obvious. He had survived this long, and he was the master of himself. Nothing and no one could change him, and whatever was happening to him, he would control and use to his advantage. He felt that time would reveal the answers to him. All he needed to do was stay alive. In time he knew he would learn what had happened to his father, what was happening to the world, and what was happening to himself. With his mind finally truly at rest, he settled his back against the trunk of the oak and closed his eyes. Tomorrow was another day, and he soon fell asleep as he had trained himself to do so long ago.

Mon May 01, 2006 2:56 am
Elelel wrote a review...

Well, there's not really much, if anything, I can say that Crysi hasn't already covered, but I'll give it a go.

First up, I enjoyed your piece. I liked the whole calm forest setting containing this rather violent (yet good, obviously) character.

Secondly, I don't really see much problem with your descriptions so far. There are a few awkward sentences and grammar mistakes that Crysi mentioned, but that's all fixable.

Reflections are a good way to introduce a character. Especially when you've only got the one by him/herself. And the littel be of action with him cutting his hair is great! And the little bit about what his mother always said about his eyes. They keep a footing in the story instead of losing the audience in a sea of descriptions. So well done!

And I have an idea for the whole background story issue. What about flashbacks? You could flashback to little scenes with his mother or father (or both) every now and again. It'd be worth considering. They'd be set in a different location so it would give us some different scenery (although as I said before I like this scenery fine) and the option of some more dialogue, all while adding to the plot! It's up to you what you do, it's your story after all, but I would also recomend that you do something about all that back story (especially so early in the story).

Quote:
Quickly, not knowing how much time he had, he strapped on his swords and the quiver to his back, slung his pack over his shoulder, held the bow in is left hand, and ran out the door.

"in is left hand" should be "in his left hand." Is he left-handed? Interesting.

*thinks about this* ... noooo ... I think if you're right handed you hold the bow in your left hand, but draw it with your right. My brother has some archery equipment ... I'm pretty sure that's how I hold it and I'm right handed. If he was ready for action, he'd want to carry it in his left hand so he wouldn't have to switch in case he needed to use it quickly.

Well, that's all I've got I think. Hope I helped a little!

Roaming Shadow says...

Crysi, that certainly did please me. I agree with several of your points and will rework it in the near future. Dang, that was an extensive (and very helpful) critique 8) ! By the way, I'm almost done with a later portion of this characters story, so keep an eye open for it if your interested.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:20 am
Swires says...

Thats one big mamma of a crit!

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:18 am
Crysi says...

Blob, it'd be nice if you actually broke your paragraphs into coherent sentences... :roll: lol.

Okay Shadow, finished critiquing the piece. If someone has already said something I have, oh well. Too bad, lol. I'm not going to go through and edit my critique based on what someone else wrote. Just take what you can and roll with it, mkay? Cool.

Now, let's begin...

High on a thick tree branch, Damian balanced in a crouch, his left hand resting against the trunk balancing him,

"balancing him" is unnecessary.

watching the sunset.

Could you place this earlier in the sentence? If you place it after the placement of the left hand, it sounds as if his left hand is watching the sunset. Now, obviously we know Damian is watching it, but it's good practice to make sentences perfectly clear in what they're trying to say.

Also, "sunset" would work better as "sun set" here, because you begin the next sentence with "It" which refers back to the sun. Does that make sense? Sunsets take up the entire sky and can't really be described as being "two finger widths above the horizon." But the sun can, and so separating the common word into two words clarifies it a bit.

It was still two finger widths above the horizon setting into the ocean just beyond, but already the sky was fading into warm orange with a shade of pink. Perched in the mighty oak, Damian relaxed in contentment. No matter how many times he saw it, he was ever awed by nature’s beauty.

I actually love the scenery in this entire paragraph. You give a good setting for the scene and your descriptions seem accurate.

Somewhere far off to the west laid the ocean with no name. It was simply the ocean.

Scratch that last sentence. I think the readers can infer that the ocean with no name is simply referred to as the ocean. Also, I believe "laid" should be "lay," but I'm not entirely sure of the difference in usage of lie and lay. I'm looking it up right now and it's still confusing me, lol.

Off to the east was the Yemlen Plains,

Okay. You need to make agreement here, so either "Off to the east were the Yemlen Plains" or "Off to the east was the Yemlen Plain."

slowly dissolving into the Eastern Desert beyond the horizon.

Is it just me, or has the horizon been mentioned quite a bit? Could be redundant, or I could just be picky. ;)

Far to the south and the north were mountain ranges, the Dragonwall and the Barliac, said to create supposedly impassable barriers.

Take out "supposedly" : it's not necessary. You've already stated they're "said to create" these barriers. "Said to create" is equal to "supposedly" being. If you wanted to expand this into a novel, I could easily see those barriers being crossed. It would create conflict and confusion.

To the north east of the forest was the capital city of Talcen, where the king ruled over the land.

Just want to say that I love all the info you've given in this section. It's obvious you've thought about it a lot and really formed this section of your world.

They would always be found by their pursuers; wounded, occasionally bandaged, with no trace of who stopped them.

Turn the semicolon into a colon and change the last part to "wounded and occasionally bandaged, with no trace of who had stopped them." That just cleans the sentence up a bit.

These occurrences were thankfully infrequent however, and he spent much of his time as he was now doing, resting in quiet contemplation.

You could switch the last part around to read, "and he spent much of his time resting in quiet contemplation, as he was now doing."

In times like these, he would often reflect on the past.

Cue the fanfare - I sense some heart-wrenching exposition coming on! Sorry lol, but this is an obvious lead-in to what you're about to do. You don't necessarily have to change it; I just felt like pointing it out.

Aww... :(

Before he had met his mother, Damian’s father Victer had been a bounty hunter.

Interesting spelling of the father's name.

He made a small fortune tracking down criminals and traitors, capturing them and collecting the price placed on their heads. He never gloated and actually spoke little about anything to anyone. Because of this, he became something of a legend.

Sounds like Robin Hood to me.

Those who knew him were awed by his skill, but many had not heard of him or would not believe the stories they were told. One facet of the stories that most found peculiar was that he always brought his bounties back alive, even if the bounty asked for their head. He never gave his name, and so he was given a name, one which he never spoke of to Damian. Because of this, he became more a myth than man. This view spread when he seemed to disappear. What nobody knew was that he married.

Change the last part to "he had married." Okay. So you have an interesting anecdote and legendary details. I don't want you to tell them to me. I want you to SHOW them to me, or tell them to me through another character. Perhaps Damian runs into a character who retells the legend. Dialogue is a wonderful trick to introduce information into the story. I know not much dialogue occurs here, but surely you can fit it in! Maybe one of the thieves he encounters later recognizes the behaviour or mistakes him for his father. However you choose to introduce it, PLEASE don't tell it all in this paragraph! And don't use the phrase "One facet of the stories that most found peculiar." That sounds like a research paper.

Before Victer could formulate a plan to free her, she knocked her head against her captor’s, slammed her heal into his groin, and took the man’s dagger from his weakened grip.

"Heal" should be "heel."

They began seeing each other when he stopped by the town, Maria always glad to be with him again.

You've phrased this a bit awkwardly. How about something like, "They began seeing each other when he stopped by the town, and she was always glad to be with him again." Wait! Was he not glad to be with her as well? Maybe, "They began seeing each other when he stopped by the town, and they were always glad to be together again." I'm not sure; you'll have to play with it a bit.

Damian had been born only a year after that disappearance in a secluded log cabin at the edge of the very forest he now called home.

I laughed when I read this sentence because it's so long! I almost run out of breath when I read it out loud. Break it up a bit! You're trying to fit a lot of detail into a little space, and it's not really working. Readers can't handle big chunks like this - they ignore parts of it so they can digest it a bit more easily.

The town was crowded, the air seemed hard to breath, and the almost sinister nature of everyone there unnerved him.

I feel this part is a bit rushed, like you're trying to get these details in before getting to an important part. I keep going back and forth on the words "seemed" and "almost" because I can't decide whether they downplay the information or not. I think you could use a bit more description - show us that you're capable of more than trite phrases to describe the wicked place!

Maria died when he was only five, and both he and his father grieved for some time.

You know, my five-year-old cousin actually corrected me on this. I felt that a five-year-old might be too young to really grieve or be heartbroken by the loss of someone because I figured they lacked the understanding of the situation. But whlie visiting my cousin, she got really sad and told me she missed her grandma's dog, who died sometime last year. So. Nevermind. :)

It seemed to Damian as though his father had seen the entire known world, and maybe more.

Very nice detail!

Before I continue, I just want to make a quick note - the next three paragraphs all start with "Damian," and I caught that as I was simply scanning the page to see how long it was. Think about varying your beginnings.

Damian himself had learned to use a single sword quickly, and his father then taught him to use two.

Not sure this detail is necessary. I think we can determine that his father taught him how to fight the two swords without this sentence.

This praise meant the world to Damian, even to this day.

Cute detail. Might be a bit smoother as "This praise had always meant the world to Damian."

Damian’s childhood had ended abruptly, and this memory returned to Damian as inevitably as the seasons changed.

Good analogy. The second "Damian" could be changed to "him."

This confused Damian, because no bird of prey would deliver a message in such a manner, or any kind of bird for that matter.

I don't like this sentence. I'm confused as to why he would concentrate so much on that, and I'm not sure it's a necessary detail.

Still off balanced,

"off balanced" should be "off-balance" I think.

He found the paper was a note and he read it.

You could simply say, "He read the note" or add something like, "Curious, he read the note." I don't know about you, but when a bird delivers a paper I automatically assume it's a note. I mean, what else might it be? If it were something unusual, like a map or something, then you might be able to get away with that extra part. But for now, skip it. We know it's a note.

The note appeared to have been written hastily and not on a smooth surface.

Change "not on a smooth surface" to "on a rough surface." Just makes it a bit, well, smoother. ;)

He grabbed his sturdy pack and put in food, a canteen of water, a knife, flint and steel, clothes and a hatchet.

"put in" is a slightly awkward phrase. Not sure how you could change it to clear it up... Maybe "He grabbed his sturdy pack and placed in it food..." Not sure.

Then he grabbed his bow and quiver of arrows, and the twin swords his father had had made for him barely a year before.

The comma isn't necessary.

That entire paragraph was a bit lengthy, partially because it was just a list. If you want to keep that in there, describe more to me. How did the bow feel/fit in his hands? Did the pack clink against the quiver? Simple lists bore the reader, but simple (and often overlooked) details like those engage the reader.

What was the something foul his father had mentioned?

I think "foul occurrence" may work better than "something foul." Or at least put "something foul" in quotes.

These questions hadn’t exactly haunted him, but had caused a few restless nights when he could not get his mind to calm.

Add "at least" between "had" and "caused."

And because of these questions, he would not return to the civilized world. Or so called civilized world as he saw it.

You could combine these sentences into the following and not lose meaning: "And because of these questions, he would not return to the so-called civilized world."

His skin was much darker then it had been when he first made the forest his home, likely from all the time spent in the sun.

Now, I may just be an ignorant Californian, but when I think of a forest, I think of almost endless shade beneath the trees with only a few patches of sunlight breaking the canopy. I suppose he would get a lot of sunlight in clearings... I don't know. I don't see forests much, here in the valley. ;)

Hair and beard were cut with the beard short and scruffy and his straight dark brown hair hanging down to the bottom of his ears.

The beginning of this sentence is awkward. Think about inserting "His" at the beginning. Also, is his hair straight and smooth as if he had used a straightener, or is it slightly matted? Is it stringy from not being washed for so long? Are bits of leaves/pine needles (not sure what kind of forest it is) stuck in it?

He used his swords to maintain both. Seeing that a few strands were starting to get long in the front, he took out his right blade and trimmed them down so they wouldn’t get in his eyes. Nodding at the improvement, he put the blade back into its scabbard.

Good detail. One of my favourite parts.

His face was just a bit narrow, much like his father, with a moderately pointed chin and chiseled features.

Chiseled features? Ooh, how manly. :roll: Sorry, just sounds like a bad romance novel, lol. Also, "father" should be "father's."

His mother had told him often when he was just a child that looking into his eyes was like looking into the ocean or a tranquil pool of water.

The ocean or a tranquil pool of water - pick one. Two similes clutters it up.

He thanked his mother silently for teaching him to sew, and his father for how to tan animal hides.

What did he use for thread? Human hair? From his back? (Sorry mate, couldn't resist. ;) )

“Hurry men, hurry!” he heard a man in the distance.

Ah, finally some action again! I have a feeling this is the beginning of the main point of the piece, eh? Anyway, add a verb after "man." Did the man cry that in the distance? Shout it? Order it? Whisper it?

Well, Damian thought, the man is not a complete fool.

Italicize the thought.

Their footsteps were becoming quite distinct and he could even smell them approach. There were five, or perhaps six. He wasn’t sure; the men were still not visible through the foliage. The thieves were still some distance off.

Okay... Now I can see how this fits in with the next paragraph. Still, it seems a bit contradictory at first. The beginning of the paragraph leads the reader to believe the thieves are quickly approaching and not far away from Damian. But you clearly state otherwise in your last sentence. It throws us off a bit, and I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or not.

Odd. Interesting, but odd. If this is a key point, make it shorter. Don't dwell on it. It loses its mystery when you go on and on about it, you know?

As the bandits approached, he began to catch glimpses through the branches that were now nearly to their summer display.

Scratch the last part about the summer display. It's completely unrelated to the rest of the sentence. If you really want to include it, do so somewhere else. Perhaps at the beginning, when he's crouched on one of those branches.

The men were heading past his perch to the north, about six trees away and across the river.

Take out "to the north." Actually, this whole sentence is just awkward. I can picture it, but it takes me a while.

Standing up from his comfortable position, he began to cross the branches near silently to intercept the group.

Take out "near."

With the moderately dense covering of branches that made the forest canopy and his own agility, he could walk almost as easily through the trees as he could on the ground.

Take out "branches that made." We should know what a canopy is made of.

Damian soon saw the men as they made their way towards him.

Take off the "s" in "towards." Actually, I don't know if that's just a personal preference or a grammatical rule, but it just sounds better to me.

There were six of them, each with a bag slung over their shoulder and a short sword sheathed at all their waists.

Gotta make agreement here. "Each" is singular, so it should be "a bag slung over his shoulder and a short sword sheathed at his waist."

Damian smiled.

He seems to smile a lot, doesn't he?

Format this correctly: "Come on, keep walking," came the leader's voice again. "Distance and darkness are our allies."

The suns final rays still lit the world and the forest.

"suns" should be "sun's." Also, I don't think "the world and" is necessary. While poetic, it does nothing for this piece.

Damian’s eyes adjusted to the darkness as though it was lighter than it truly was. Colors though, were not as distinct.

Scratch the last sentence; it's unnecessary. Also, I'm still trying to figure out when to use "was" and when to use "were" but I believe your first "was" should be "were." Make sense? So: "Damian's eyes adjusted to the darkness as though it were lighter than it truly was." Feel free to double-check.

They were only walking by now.

I got the feeling they were only walking earlier, too...

When the lead man came under the tree’s branches, Damian jumped down silently and landed on the mossy ground in front of the bandit, crouching to absorb the impact and prepare to strike.

That last part (crouching...strike) is a bit awkwardly phrased, don't you think? Not sure what to do with it. Hmm.

“What-” the man began to say, but Damian’s blade slicing through his shin turned the query into a startled howl of pain.

Change "Damian's blade slicing through his shin" to "the slicing of Damian's blade through his shin."

“What the!?”, “Demon!” the others cried.

Not sure how to format this. Maybe you could change it to something like, "Cries of 'What the!?' and 'Demon!' escaped from the others' lips."

Every man dropped their bags, and all but one drew their swords.

Agreement: Every man dropped his bag.

The aim was perfect, but Damian brought his left blade up and across swatting the knife away, embedding it into a nearby tree.

Change to, "The aim was perfect, but Damian brought his left blade up and across, swatting the knife away and embedding it into a nearby tree."

With both blades now to his right side, Damian leapt with his left shoulder, launching himself through the air towards his nearest opponent.

Not sure about you, but I don't leap with my shoulders. ;) I know what you're trying to express here - he threw his weight, right?

The man tried to get his sword up, as if he would bring the sword down on Damien’s head, but Damian struck before the blade was fully raised.

Tsk, tsk, misspelling your MC's name... ;) "Damien" should be "Damian," if you hadn't noticed.

His left hand blade struck first, slicing the man’s calf. The right hand blade sliced three fingers off the man’s left hand.

I don't think you need "hand" here. "Left blade" and "right blade" will work nicely and will avoid redundancy with "the man's left hand."

Damian rolled in the air to land on his feet, sliding a few feet across the late spring grass.

Wow, he had a lot of air time, eh? Sounds matrix-y. If that's not what you intended, you might want to go over your timing again.

Damian parried, blocked, and evaded the men with ease.

"Parried, blocked, and evaded" might be redundant with the previous paragraph, but the phrase also somewhat ties in the action: he continued his manoeuvres throughout the battle.

The group made their way through the forest, moving around trees, maneuvering through protruding roots, and even around the already fallen thieves.

Add a verb between "even" and "around" in the last part for parallel structure.

Three were nearly incompetent, but the fourth, who had thrown the dagger, knew how to fight.

Take out "nearly."

He kept the battle going, constantly moving around, unnerving and tiring his foes.

At first I wasn't sure whether "He" referred to Damian or to the skilled fighter.

He could have already defeated them, but he wanted to practice on real opponents, to see how sharp his skills really were.

Good. Shows his immaturity. I'm assuming he's a teenager here, because his reaction is perfect for a teenager: the whole "How far can I go?" mentality.

After a few minutes in the growing darkness, the three thieves who were hopeless could barely hold their blades.

Either take out "who were hopeless" altogether or take it out and change it to, "the three hopeless thieves."

How could any man be so wild?, he thought.

Again, italicize the thought.

With his twin blades, he parried and blocked each blow, which came at him faster than he expected though not faster than he could handle.

I would suggest looking up swordfighting terms; "parried" and "blocked" get old after a while. Also, change the last section to something like, "which came at him startlingly fast." Simplifies it a bit, don't you think?

Then the man took a swing at Damian’s neck in an effort to chop off his head.

Might just be personal preference, because I care little for the word, but I'd take out "Then." It makes it seem as if the man continuously takes a swing at Damian's neck after adrenaline pushes him on - like a cycle.

The swords clashed in the air, sparks flew, metal screamed, but Damian’s sword did not stop.

"Sparks flew" is a bit overused and cliche.

Both men were startled, Damian surprised and his opponent shocked.

Just end the sentence after "startled." No need to go into further detail.

The man would never hurt anyone, or steal again.

Comma is unnecessary.

The thieves subdued, Damian knocked out the now fingerless man with the hilt of his sword to stop his screaming and thrashing. Ripping the man’s shirt, he bandaged the man’s bleeding fingers. His work done, he headed back into the heart of the forest.

Vary your sentence structure here. Right now these three sentences can be read, "Da-da-da-da, da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da." Well, not exactly that pattern, but do you get it?

His mind now was not on the past or the future, as it often was when he rested, but on the present.

Take out "as it often was when he rested." Readers don't need a good memory to remember this fact from the beginning of the piece.

The battle kept playing before his eyes as though he was still there.

Again with the was/were usage... I believe it should be "were" here.

His mind was filled with questions as it raced. Questions he had no answers to.

You could combine and simplify these two sentences to, "His mind raced with unanswered questions."

At least none that made sense to him or put his mind at ease.

This sentence is unnecessary.

What is happening to me?, he thought as he clenched his right hand tightly into a fist. What am I becoming?

Italicize the thoughts.

I like and dislike this paragraph at the same time, and that's not fun when you're trying to write a helpful critique! I like your details, but I also think it tells too much. Wish I could explain it better...

Damian felt as though he was a mystery to himself.

Was or were? I'd pick were.

Could it be that the thieves were more right than they knew? Was he truly becoming some sort of demon?

Interesting questions. I'd love to see the answers.

There was no way he could possibly be becoming a demon. But what he was becoming, he could not guess. Again he stared at the moon, as if it held the answers. It did not, and he knew that.

Okay, I don't like the first sentence I quoted here. Maybe you could change it to something like, "The very idea was impossible." The last sentence could be improved by adding something like "all too well" after "that."

Then he smiled, as everything seemed to become all too clear and obvious.

He's smiling again?? Sheesh. Happy guy.

He had survived this long, and he was the master of himself. Nothing and no one could change him, and whatever was happening to him, he would control and use to his advantage. He felt that time would reveal the answers to him. All he needed to do was stay alive. In time he knew he would learn what had happened to his father, what was happening to the world, and what was happening to himself. With his mind finally truly at rest, he settled his back against the trunk of the oak and closed his eyes. Tomorrow was another day, and he soon fell asleep as he had trained himself to do so long ago.

Again with the exposition! You tell way too much here, although I suppose you have to wrap it up somehow for a short story.

Overview:

Shadow, this was a very interesting story. It seemed to me like you were trying to fit a novel into 4000 words, and that's just not possible. If you decide to expand this into a novel, don't tell so much so soon! We don't need to know everything yet. We're still trying to figure out who Damian is, so only feed us a little at a time. About Damian... Is his constant smiling realistic? I would think the time spent in the forest hunting thieves and trying to deal with the family situation would harden him a bit more. Also, you deal with his age early on, but I'm not sure how old he is at the present time. When does this take place? Immediately after he flees into the forest? Years later? Give me a hint within the story. Watch superfluous sentences, awkward phrasing, and grammar - they happen to everyone, and once you clean it up your story will be much more enjoyable. Not that it isn't already! I love the idea you present in the story, and I would absolutely love to see you continue this. :) Great job.

It took me about two hours to type this up, lol, so I think I'll go to bed now and not try to read over it again. Seeing as how it's about 1:30 in the morning now and I was exhausted when I started this, I hope you can excuse any grammatical, spelling, and/or judgement errors I've made. I already noticed I started using random British spellings and I think I varied on when I put a comma before quotes. Ah well.

Anyway... *bows* I hope my efforts have pleased you. Let me know if you want me to clarify anything.

blob wrote a review...

This was really good, im not saying this story is good or the way u used your style , im saying That your style is good, its clear and to the point and can tell a good story, but u used your style in ways that made it less effective, on nearlly all writing tip sites , theres a passage outlined and capital saying NO BACK ROUND AT BEGGINING , it bores the reader, why would they wanna know about some guys parents love life when they dont even know the guy, and I agree with crysi you could escape with this much history if you dropped in action, because what youve done up there is the creation of a story within a story , youre showing us a really great deep slice of Damians life and then were suddenly in the past, we wanna get back and see what he's like , but the story remaines in the past, we give up , our patience has run out, we just press back and read somthing else.

Sorry to be harsh but dont take it badly, Ive insulted youre structuring , not youre style, youre style is clear and can acctuall screen a picture in our heads, but not when were board and just wanna get it finished .

And another reason this dragged a bit was that you made it so long, i mean , this took me just under half an hour to read( and yes im a very slow reader), if you split it in two chapters people will read it review it and all in under 15 minuetes . and the title wasent that eye catching, a suggestion is "supernatural " Yes its used byt it grabs attention ....i think.

Any way , good job, this story was brilliant, and SEND THE NEXT PIECE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEESE :D

Crysi wrote a review...

Gah, I'll have to add this to my list of things to critique when I have more time... Just a quick note, though - exposition is NOT your friend. It's great to know all that background stuff - really - but I found myself skipping over most of it and I eventually skipped over the entire thing because I was impatient. You start it off with a sort of action, and it intrigued me because the pose reminded me of one of my own characters. So I was hooked. But you let me down with all the background info! Limit it to one paragraph, then add a bit of action, then come back to thought. The action doesn't have to be extreme, like a war or whatever - the simple scene you included with him cutting a few strands of hair was perfect. Just try to add a bit more of that and spread out the information more. You don't even necessarily have to include it at this point, although I know your limits on wordcount... But think about it - do you even need it for the short story? Does the reader need to know everything about him before they can understand what happens?

Consider it. I'll be back.

Poor Imp wrote a review...

Hey Shadow -- interesting idea, and you've got a good eye, I think, for continuity.

My most vehement complaint would be the dwelling in the past. I think the beginning loses force by the time you've gone all the way through Damian's parents' history. (You did say this preluding something else though?) It ended up dragging. I don't think the telling was the problem...but weaving it in differently might assuage the bogged-down aspect.

For example:

You're pretty consistently using had...had done this...had known that. This parapraph begins somewhat evasively. What did he train at specifically? Did he feel[ he only did it - or was it all he did? What criminals? And it's the past (pluperfect?) tense - not happening now.

Even with what has already happened can be written so that it seems more present. With how much this revolves around Damian, you might change it to first person narrative - or you might focus more on Damian's thoughts, feelings, reactions.

So, the paragraph above might read...
In his years of living in the wild, Damian did three things to extremity - train, think and hunt criminals who sought refuge in the forest. They never got far. If found, they were always found wounded, bound, sometimes bandaged...yet with no trace of who had ended their flight. But for Damian, who had become used to the still and his own thoughts...

Only a quick a thought. It is your story - I'd hate to try to revamp it my way - it would work out all wrong, I'm sure.

Only other note would be the abrupt change. From the first bit (mostly vague through the past) to the second where Damian is half-mad(?), disquieted - they don't seem to connect. We have Damian, quiet, contemplative, living in the past and dreading the invasion of loud, irritating criminals - to Damian very much present and thinking he's a demon?

It was the change of pace that grated. It almost struck me as two different characters.

All right. I can't go on - have to go. Any questions about my comments, feel free - you can PM as well.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:20 am
Swires wrote a review...

This is an interesting story and is maturly written

"balanced in a crouch, his left hand resting against the trunk balancing him,"

repetition of balance, try adding a different verb instead.

"Some time later"

I didnt like this either, I would go straight into it , the three asterixes suggest there is change in time anyway.

Life is about losing everything.
— Isabel Allende